Sunday 22 September 2013

Looking to the future

As some of you would have read, I am pretty unhappy in my work. I work full time, and really the only reason I stay has been for the pay and maternity leave benefits. Once I finish having kids - I won't stay here. I had to wait a year since returning from leave, as part of the benefit package is to commit for another year. It is now over with, but I will hang around for a bit longer, as I hope to completely change career paths.

For a long time - I have been interested in genetic counselling. Long before I undertook my research career. I loved research and really thought it is where I wanted to be, but I have not found a good place for myself in Academia. I have a few choice words I could say about the people that are in academia, but suffice to say - it is not full of honest, truthful people. And I don't want to be around that or fighting for my place in there. I was warned a long time ago not to trust my work atmosphere - and it wasn't long before I realised why. It has not got much better.

So after the miscarriage I talked to my work colleague about doing a genetic counselling course. I have the science background and think it is something I would excel it, especially considering my recent history of infertility and loss. I put it away as too hard, I already have three degrees, finally paid off my school fees, and really did not want to go back to study. But it has just become so clear this is where I need to go. I want my miscarriage and loss to mean something other than it was a 1/4 loss. I know a few of you have read this blog, and found hope and do not feel so alone of crazy. Which is why I started this, I would love to take this further.

So I have e-mailed the course co-ordinator to find out more about the course, and what options would be best for someone with my history of study :) I am so nervous to jump into this, the idea of studying again gets me into knots, but I know I could help others out there... We shall see what it brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment