Sunday 1 September 2013

The physical toll of a miscarriage - more than I expected

When I went to see my naturopath, one of the things she said to me was :

' A miscarriage is much harder physically on a body than a full term pregnancy'

I actually wasn't surprised by this. When you think of what your body goes through to get pregnant and sustain a pregnancy - there is a cycle to fulfil. And with a miscarriage your body is suddenly shut down from this process, and is not quite sure how to handle it.

What has surprised me is what has happened since.

On Wednesday night I noticed I had trouble driving in the dark. I noticed the same thing at dusk the next day, and when I was trying to see my son in his cot in his dark room, and getting clothes in my bedroom while dark. Suddenly, overnight I went from being able to see - to not. 

This scared me. I went to see an optometrist on Friday night and got the good news - my eyes were in great health but a bit dry. The bad news - they were a lot worse. She however did not want to change my prescription because - unbelievably - it may just be due to the stress of the miscarriage and my eyes may revert back to what they were. They may also stay this way, but she wants to give me another 6 weeks to see how I go. I have some contacts in a stronger script and will use that at night to see me through.

I almost feel like crying. Still waiting for a normal AF ant not just spotting, feeling like I am losing my sight and not sure what else may creep up on my physically. I put on a brave face, but these constant reminders just get to me sometimes. I am just glad it will improve.

(As I am writing this I get told my son just said "hello". Made me smile, ahhhh the ups and downs. So thankful for my amazing little man who helps me through every day!)

1 comment:

  1. So so hard. And even worse when your body starts to do weird things. Hoping AF shows up soon!

    ReplyDelete